August 8, 2022
Ethernet-APL enables a new dimension in field communication: complete asset integration for field devices—regardless of device type, manufacturer and the communication technology, i.e. via Ethernet-APL or Profibus PA. Both technologies can be operated simultaneously on the same network infrastructure. In addition, FDI (Field Device Integration) technology ensures a uniform visualization and operation of field devices. The integrating tool for this is, for example, PACTware, a free framework for device management. New is that FDI technology from various manufacturers is now being integrated into the products, which makes it realistic and easy for operators to use.
A Common Infrastructure for Ethernet-APL and PROFIBUS PA
The infrastructure that implements the connection from the control level to the field devices is based on the Ethernet-APL field switch from FieldConnex. The switch enables the parallel operation of Ethernet-APL and PROFIBUS PA with a single infrastructure, even leading into hazardous areas up to zone 0 with intrinsically safe connections Ex ia IIC. Division certification will follow as soon as the relevant standards are available. Accessories such as surge protection modules for the DIN rail or in a robust IP67 housing for mounting on the device round off the portfolio.
This allows users to tap into the benefits of digitization through fast communication to the field anywhere, taking into account all requirements for hazardous areas.
Highlights of Asset Integration with Ethernet-APL
- – Complete asset integration for field devices of different device types, manufacturers and communication technology
- – Simultaneous operation on one network infrastructure
- – Uniform visualization and operation of field devices by FDI technology
- – Integration of FDI technology from various manufacturers into the devices
- – Complete diagnostic data for software-based, proactive maintenance—reduced cost, effort and risk
- – Easy implementation with Ethernet-APL field switch from FieldConnex