Littelfuse: High-Surge-Rating SMD TVS Diodes 50% Smaller Than Other Surface-Mounted Solutions
November 21, 2022
Littelfuse, Inc. has recently announced their new SMTOAK2 TVS Diode Series. Many of today’s high-power, high-surge-rating TVS diodes are only available in axial leaded packages. The compact, 2 kA 8/20 μs rated, surface-mount package SMTOAK2 TVS Diode Series allows electronics designers to achieve a more robust transient voltage, overvoltage protection, and lightning protection system while using less printed circuit board (PCB) space.
The SMTOAK2 TVS Diode Series is ideal for high-power-density applications that require robust protection in a small footprint, including:
- – ICT, Medical, Industrial DC power supplies;
- – high-power DC bus protection;
- – DC power supplies used in exposed and harsh environments;
- – power over ethernet (PoE) ports;
- – small cell, micro cell, remote radio units (RRU), baseband units (BBU); and
- – high-power density SiC and GAN-based DC/DC converters/power supplies.
“Global trends and regulatory requirements for higher efficiency power supplies, high-current and high-speed MOSFET/IGBT designs are increasingly in demand,” said Ben Huang, Senior Product Marketing Manager, at Littelfuse. “These fast-switching designs need protection against inductive kickback. By using the high-power SMTOAK2 TVS Diode Series, designers can achieve high reliability and robustness while reducing the required board space and assembly time.”
The SMTOAK2 TVS Diode Series offers these key benefits:
- – Protects high-cost, high-current, high-speed MOSFET/IGBT circuits against inductive kicks with low-clamping voltage and high-surge rating.
- – Enables designers to achieve robust circuit protection with less PCB space via a modified, compact SMTO-263 surface-mount package 50% smaller than SMTO-218 surface-mounted solutions.
- – Compatible with automated PCB assembly processes reducing costs while saving time.