May 14, 2021
Phoenix Contact’s single pair Ethernet (SPE) connectors can be used any time a small connection profile is needed, as well as when a customer wants to easily integrate devices and simplify circuit layouts. SPE is especially useful for field cabling to and from control cabinets, sensors, and field devices. It is a key technology for the implementation of an IIoT ecosystem in smart factories, smart buildings, and many other applications. In addition, SPE has the unique capability of transmission up to 1,000 m compared to traditional Ethernet, which is limited to 100 m cable runs.
Single pair Ethernet is innovative, efficient, and future-proof. It brings bidirectional, high-performance transmission of data and power through one twisted pair using power over data line (PoDL). Standardized interfaces in accordance with IEC 63171-2 and 63171-5 are ideally suited for industrial IP20 or IP67 environments. This technology makes consistent network communication and power supply possible, even within complex industrial networks and IoT applications. The SPE connector system from Phoenix Contact offers intermateable connections for efficient and space-saving system cabling. Through a comprehensive implementation of sensor-to-cloud technology, SPE enables a standardized ecosystem for Ethernet-based communication.
Ethernet is the leading data communication technology for local area networks (LAN) at the corporate and operational levels. As the industrial world evolves to adapt IoT strategies for an advanced physical layer (APL), the need for new connection systems and smarter technology becomes the catalyst for SPE.
- – Compact connector design, less than half the size of RJ45 connectors
- – Requires less PCB tracing, has a smaller footprint, and allows for more connectors on the PCB and in the field
- – Power and data transmission
- – Maintain Ethernet transmission of up to 1 Gbps or up to 1,000 m
- – Add up to 50 W of power (PoDL) in the same twisted pair for broader application utilization
- – Bidirectional communication
- – Support IoT systems and quickly obtain diagnostics and real-time data directly from sensors and devices over a single pair cabling system
- – Compatible mating faces
- – Designed to international standards IEC 63171-2 and 63171-5 and with intermateability to provide a fully compatible system
- – Single pair
- – Two wires instead of a 2-pair or 4-pair (four or eight wires) offer reduced size, weight, and installation time
- – Sensors
- – Switches
- – Gateways
- – Surveillance
- – Monitoring